Saturday, May 8, 2010

First trip to the ER

Well my lazy Saturday was abruptly brought to an end by my amazing ability to be a huge klutz and thanks to that, my poor son had to suffer.

Caleb was getting ready for work and I decided to go change Nathan's diaper and then head to the bathroom myself. I almost put him in his crib with a few toys while I headed that direction but decided instead to put him in his jumper in the living room.

Well, on my way out to the living room my left foot stepped on the back of my right slipper causing me to trip forward....smashing Nathan's head into the CORNER of the wall. Our hallway has this little section that juts out and of course I was walking close enough to that side of the hall when it happened that I managed to scar my child.

He immediately started screaming but I couldn't see because our apartment has horrible lighting so I headed into the bathroom where Caleb was getting ready. I looked where I thought he hit and didn't see anything so I thought perhaps he was more scared than hurt. Haha. That was until I looked at his forehead just a few inches above his eye (God help me, if he had hit his eye it would have been so much worse) and saw a huge welt.

It looked horrible. I immediately started crying because he's bonked his head before, but nothing like this. Caleb calmed him down and I got dressed and called the pediatrician. They couldn't get us in for another 2 hours though and just looking at it I knew we needed to take him in right away.

So, off to the ER we went. I dropped Caleb at work (he offered to come with me but I told him to go on since we're going out of town a lot this month and we need the money) and headed up to the hospital.

Thankfully it wasn't crowded at all and let me just say that I love Evanston Hospital. I've had good experiences every time I go but I'd never been to the ER before so that is kind of the ultimate test of how a place is run. Everyone there was very very nice and the waiting area was very comfy. We were actually in and out within an hour and a half. I couldn't believe how quick it was.

Of course Nathan is fine, he seemed fine even when we left the house. It just looked so bad since he hit the corner of the wall that I didn't feel right just hanging out until the doctor's appointment. What if something was really wrong and time was of the essence?

Anyway, he blew the doctors and nurses away with how happy he is (as usual .. ahh I love my baby) and we're supposed check back in next week. It'll be more like next Monday since we'll be in Colorado until Sunday evening but that should be okay.

Adventure I guess...the world can't just let me have a relaxing Saturday at home. If it isn't the ER it's fifteen page papers or car wrecks. Gotta love it. Ha..right!

Right now he's snoozing (the doctor okayed it) while I enjoy our new laptop. Classes start on Tuesday and we decided with all of the traveling we'll be doing this summer, I am going to need a laptop to keep up with classes while we're gone.

Well, that's my most recent news. I'm sure there will be many more trips to the doctor or ER in our future, especially if we have any more boys. I know women are prone to feeling guilty over things like this, but geez...I just smashed my son's head into the corner of a wall. OF COURSE I feel like it was my fault because it was! So irritated at myself. Don't worry too much though, I'll get over it.

No comments:

Post a Comment