Thursday, December 10, 2009

The calm before the storm..

Life is about to get REALLY busy. In a little over a month I am going to not only be working full time, but my classes will pick back up with a vengeance. I will be taking two classes at Dominican which apply to my actual degree and then one class at a local community college that will apply to my teaching certification. My goal is to be finished with classes by this time next year. So spring semester next year is full of student teaching...meaning that the 2011-2012 school year will hopefully be my first as an actual school librarian!

I will only be going down to school once a week (Monday nights) for my YA Lit class. My other Dominican class is a weekend class. Three weekends during the semester...all day long. It is an elective called Libraries 2.0 and Social Networking. Should be interesting (and easy I hope!), plus I thought it would be better than two classes a week. Being out until 10pm twice a week is NOT my idea of fun.

The education class I'll be taking is "Exceptional Child" which deals with disabilities in the classroom. It's an internet class with some required observation hours. I'm hoping this will fit in okay and I will do okay in the three classes.

It's funny, when I don't really think about it, I don't feel like I'll be taking on that much. However, once I start to lay it all out and look at it, I start to get nervous. How am I going to do this? Working full time, three classes AND a baby at home? I'm sad because my free time will be gone. My biggest fear is that I'll be working so hard that I'll have a lot less time to just snuggle with Nathan and he'll be grown up before I know it. Am I going to miss out on his "babyhood" because I'm so busy?

Eh, anyway...break is coming up and I'm excited to see our families again. We leave Saturday the 19th and don't get back until after New Years. We'll be going to Oklahoma first, then Colorado. Not sure how Nathan will do with the sleeping arrangements, but right now he's so messed up anyway. Ever since his growth spurt over Thanksgiving, he's been a mess.

I've decided to stop getting excited anytime Nathan's sleep routine seems to even out. Every time he's seemed to come up with a pattern (down at a certain time and falling asleep by himself for a week, sleeping through the night for a few days, etc.) it always goes out the window for no real reason. We don't change his bedtime routine and yet something causes him to change completely...right after I've started to relax, thinking he's settling into something.

Right now I feel like we're dealing with a newborn again. He doesn't want to sleep anywhere but our arms (which might be because he's got a bit of a cold), he's definitely not sleeping through the night, and he hasn't fallen asleep on his own since the week before Thanksgiving. This, a month and a half after he started sleeping on his own, falling asleep by himself and even getting to a point (when I thought Babywise was working) were he only woke up once a night.

I give up. I'm going to stick with his same "routine" (9pm bath, book, song, etc.) and if he sleeps well...great! But I'm not going to get hopeful that it'll last.

No comments:

Post a Comment