Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Baby-wearing and co-sleeping


So much for the crib. After two pretty good nights it has become hated, by both of us. Nathan apparently decided it was not something he was interested in despite doing it for two nights in a row.

We spent two more awful nights on Sunday and Monday fighting until I gave up in the wee hours of the morning and just brought him back to bed with me. Last night I thought I'd go ahead and bring the pack&play into the bedroom and try that since he'll nap in it. Yeah, still a no-go. I will say I didn't try as hard this time around since I was exhausted from the previous two nights, so the first time he woke himself up, I just gave up and brought him to bed.

He wont be patted back down and he ends up waking himself up COMPLETELY. Like, wide awake, quiet-alert awake which is something he just doesn't do normally. Once 1am rolls around he usually sleeps without waking (except to eat) until 8ish. It's just ridiculous. I'm sorry but I wont let my 5 week old cry-it-out. He's just too little - Sorry Dr. Cimo, but I'm not doing it. (I'm going against the pediatrician...uh oh!) Everything I've read says you can't spoil a baby this little, that their crying is not manipulative so, I refuse.

Self-soothing will come in time. When he's older I'll be able to let him cry-it-out but for now we're going to be a co-sleeping family. We all sleep better. He sleeps pretty much all night and doesn't even fully wake up to eat. Just gets fussy in his sleep and is able to eat while staying half asleep. I'm able to just roll onto my side and nurse and we both drift off to sleep again. It's wonderful. Why do people in the USA have such an issue w/ co-sleeping? Now I understand it can be dangerous if you roll onto the baby, but we've got it set up that I really don't think this will happen.

I've put that co-sleeper I bought in the middle of the bed and I'll put him in it when he's VERY asleep, but if I hold him I'll place him in my left arm against the side of the co-sleeper and I sleep on my side. There is no where for me to roll too and Caleb is on the other side of the co-sleeper, therefore completely out of the picture when it comes to rolling onto Nathan. It works, he sleeps so well and so do I. I got so much sleep last night! I was able to wake up at 8am w/ Caleb again. Something I haven't been able to do since attempting the crib (even on the "good" nights) ... I had to sleep until 9 then and even felt like I could sleep longer.

------------------------------

I'm also attempting to get Nathan used to his sling. I haven't used it much, but I love having him close yet able to have my hands free to do things (like eat lunch!). Right now he's in it, sleeping away. Sweet boy. Dr. Sear's says babies who stay close to mom in slings all day sleep better at night. Interesting. We shall test this theory.

So now I am a breastfeeding, baby-wearing, co-sleeping mommy. If we start doing a little cloth-diapering I can add that to my list of "hippy" things I do too... Heck, maybe I'll even make my own baby food ...

2 comments:

  1. I was 100% against co-sleeping with my first 2 until I had to be the only parent for a couple weeks with Sage. I used to swaddle her up and she would sleep in her bouncy seat until her first feeding then I would let her sleep with me. It was so easy to feed her in bed! I always brought her to bed with me but once we moved to FL with Tony, I would make him take her back to her crib if he wasn't too tired. Since she stopped breastfeeding at 11 months, I just lay her in her crib and she sleeps and naps on her own!
    Some people are TOTALLY for it but it's just not for us and we're glad it's over....who knew that little tiny girl would take up the whole bed!! Good luck! it will come with time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I have one of those slings too, but I cant figure it out! I think I need to shorten the strap or something because when i put Leah in it, it seemed to smoother her and she just screamed! She was clear down on my belly though and looking at the picture you posted of the ladies with their babies, i think that's too low. Where does yours sit?

    I dont think co-sleeping will ever be for me...I don't sleep very well when i am holding Leah. I snuggled with her for an hour or 2 the other morning (from like 6 to 8) and I was so worried about rolling on her or something that I didn't really fall into a deep sleep. If you guys have a system that works for you though...more power to you! And my mom said the same thing about not being able to spoil that small of a baby. I didnt want to give Leah a pacifier because I didnt want her to become dependent on them...but my mom said that wouldnt be a problem since she's so small. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete