Monday, September 14, 2009

On Saturday I took Nathan into the doctor due to some bad diaper rash and excessive spitting up. He'd been having a hard time keeping his food down for the past day and I was worried about it.

The doctor checked him out and of course he was fine. I'm a worry wart, but we did get some sample cream for his bottom, eventhough it wasn't near enough, so I bought some maximum strength desitin at CVS yesterday. It seems to be helping, I think the key is to dry him with paper towels after the wipes, then add the diaper cream. Seems obvious, but as a first timer it took me a little while to catch on. =)

He has gained weight, in fact he now weighs in at 9lbs, 15oz ... a full 2lbs more than we weighed at birth! He's only 3 weeks tomorrow, which means he's getting enough to eat. The doctor says he's just a "happy spitter" and could have some mild reflux but since he's gaining weight and having the right amount of diapers, that it isn't an issue.

We did figure out though that the excessive spitting up on Friday was probably due to some salsa I ate Thursday night. So, sadly, I have to cut the spicy foods. Also, he's been so gassy that I think I'm going to try cutting milk (I drink a TON of it) and see if that helps at all. I figure I can drink Soy Milk while I nurse. I'll deal if it means he isn't as gassy. Poor guy! I've tried Mylicon but it doesn't seem to help much. I might try gripe water sometime, but I dunno. I've heard that's more for colic and hiccups which he does get hiccups but since he isn't screaming for hours, I don't think he's colicky.


2 comments:

  1. Boo to cutting out spicy food! YAY that Sweet Nathan is Ok!!! I can only imagine the worrying I will do with my baby! Im sure its totally normal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No spicy foods?!?! That would not work for me!
    Aveeno Diaper Rash Cream is the only kind I use and I barely have to us it! LOVE IT!!

    ReplyDelete